[Chat] emojione (was Re: [IMPORTANT, ACTIONABLE] [lca2017] Your linux.conf.au 2017 ticket, and last chance for amendments)

Peter Lawler relwalretep at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 16:08:57 AEDT 2017

On 09/01/17 14:28, Christopher Neugebauer wrote:
> Hey Peter,
>
> On linux, you need to play around with Fontconfig to make emoji render
> (it has something to do with fallback fonts on X and .fontconfig that
> I don't quite understand). There are tutorials on the internets.
>
> Basically, Emojione should work on Linux.

Ah, so Emojione isn't providing hooks into Chromium to fake stuff?
Probably isn't possible or something anyway. I think this is possibly a
better explanation of what I'm seeing. Difference between user
expectation and product delivery.

A brief look at tutes seems like it only works on Linux by replacing
default fonts and other things that I'm not quite prepared to do just
for a single field on a single page at this point.

The other option is use the Chrome extension on Chromium, and then paste
it into an emoji aware checker type thing such as
http://apps.timwhitlock.info/unicode/inspect and ensure the correct code
is being input.

Alternatively:
$sudo apt install fonts-symbola

Sure, not colour. But at least I can see what I've typed. And it'll
probably work in lynx/elinks as well ;)

Cheers,

Pete.