[Chat] emojione (was Re: [IMPORTANT, ACTIONABLE] [lca2017] Your linux.conf.au 2017 ticket, and last chance for amendments)

Katie McLaughlin katie at glasnt.com
Mon Jan 9 15:21:01 AEDT 2017

Hi!

Emoji and linux in combination are a barrel of fun!

I have no idea if the testing branch of Debian is addressing any of these
things natively, but here's some resources that'll help you work around it:

You could install the EmojiOne font locally
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2016/03/enable-color-emoji-linux-svg-font

Also, as of Firefox 50, EmojiOne should work for platforms that don't
natively support emoji
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2016/11/firefox-50-brings-native-emoji-linux-desktops

EmojiOne also provide a customisable renderer http://emojione.com/demo/ (be
aware that 'submit' posts the input to their 'guestbook'). If you try
pasting your string to that form it should load a preview

As a final fallback, you can check Emojipedia for image renderings of what
EmojiOne will provide, as a workaround. For example, HOW CUTE IS THE
PENGUIN http://emojipedia.org/emoji-one/2.2.5/penguin/

Hope this helps!

Katie
Resident Emoji Aficionado