[Chat] What to see in Tasmania ?

Marc MERLIN marc at merlins.org
Sun Jan 8 10:27:41 AEDT 2017

On Sun, Jan 08, 2017 at 09:41:54AM +1100, Christopher Neugebauer wrote:
> You should do the full trip, one-way to Queenstown (if you can), and
> take a bus back to strahan.

I didn't even consider that it was an option. Let me look into it.
But you're saying visiting Queenstown isn't worth it?

> The Rack and Gorge has more interesting rail technology. The river and
> rainforest has more interesting scenery. Take your pick if you can
> only do the half-day.

Gotcha.

> Don't say I didn't warn you :)

Ack.

> Add 50% over the times that you see. The roads are narrow and
> dangerous, and because it's summer, they'll be full of tourists who
> cannot drive nearly as well as you claim to be able to.

That last bit is more my concern. Every time I end up on a mountain
road, my biggest issue are the people in front of me that I can't pass
easily, or at all in places, and that won't pull over.

> The roads are narrow. You can very easily get stuck behind people who
> are less capable than you, with no overtaking opportunities for 40-50
> minutes. Especially in summer, we're talking about heavy caravans and
> the like. And rental cars that aren't suited for Tasmanian roads.

Yeah, that worries me a lot more. Sadly, I assume it's unavoidable. All
I can do is make sure the rental car has some engine power so that I
have a fighting chance to pass other cars in areas with a bit of room.

On Sun, Jan 08, 2017 at 10:15:21AM +1100, Kathy Reid wrote:
> Just to echo Chris' sentiments, and because I've done the drive, twice.
>
> The drive to Strahan is dangerous, requires advanced driving skills, is
> fatiguing and has a high degree of difficulty. In a manual vehicle,
> expect to be in first gear for a lot of the turns. In an automatic rent
> a vehicle, you will find controlling the turns-on-inclines even more
> difficult.

I'm not driving to or from Strahan to/from Hobart. It's not that I can't
do it, but that it's long and tiring and I'm not really interested in
doing this, especially if I'm going to be stuck behind other cars slower
than me.
Looks like right now my best option is to take the 16:30 Strahan to
Hobart bus back.
As for Cradle mountain to Strahan, if it takes 3H instead of 2, so be
it. There isn't much else I can do about it.

> If you do drive, allow 50-100% extra time than indicated. Chris is not
> being dramatic here, he is being cautious and concerned for your safety.

Understood.

> If you do go, be prepared for additional patience, keep your fuel tank
> as full as possible (as lower gear, higher traction, slow speed consumes
> more fuel) and pack a first aid kit, extra water and food.
> I was the first responder on scene when a lady slid off the Cradle Mt
> road in snow in 2013. It wasn't pretty, but I learned valuable lessons.

Ack. My worst issue so far we doing a similar drive in Taiwan (east cost
to west coast, 3000m peak, crappy rental car), and some asshole that was
blocking me on the way up and when I finally found a spot where I could
pass, he tried to run me off the road by moving into the opposite lane
and pushing me into the shoulder.
Another stupid driver with no skill and too much ego to let someone
faster pass, I hate those :(
(but yes, I completed the pass, and after 2 turns he was nowhere to be
seen in my rear view mirror, as expected)

Marc
--
Microsoft is to operating systems ....
Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/                         | PGP 1024R/763BE901