[Chat] What to see in Tasmania ?

Kathy Reid kathy at kathyreid.id.au
Sun Jan 8 10:15:21 AEDT 2017

Just to echo Chris' sentiments, and because I've done the drive, twice.

The drive to Strahan is dangerous, requires advanced driving skills, is
fatiguing and has a high degree of difficulty. In a manual vehicle,
expect to be in first gear for a lot of the turns. In an automatic rent
a vehicle, you will find controlling the turns-on-inclines even more
difficult.

If you do drive, allow 50-100% extra time than indicated. Chris is not
being dramatic here, he is being cautious and concerned for your safety.

If you do go, be prepared for additional patience, keep your fuel tank
as full as possible (as lower gear, higher traction, slow speed consumes
more fuel) and pack a first aid kit, extra water and food.

I was the first responder on scene when a lady slid off the Cradle Mt
road in snow in 2013. It wasn't pretty, but I learned valuable lessons.

Best wishes, and hope to see you safely at conf.

Best, K.