[Chat] IRC, Slack, Matrix — unified chat at LCA2017

martin f krafft madduck at madduck.net
Thu Jan 12 13:22:40 AEDT 2017

also sprach Craige McWhirter via Chat <chat at lists.lca2017.linux.org.au> [2017-01-11 22:17 +1300]:
> ...to add the ease of integration, for those of us who live and
> work in IRC, some IRC clients, WeeChat for example, have excellent
> Matrix plug ins (some of them even support Matrix's (optional) end
> to end encryption) that allow you to connect natively to IRC and
> Matrix from the one application.

There's also a matrix-ircd:

https://github.com/matrix-org/matrix-ircd

If you're too lazy to set it up (it requires Rust nightlies), let me
know and I can give you access to my instance (without guarantees)…

To me, this means that I can remain the IRC guy (yes, lamby, here's
the XKCD reference…) and interact with all the teams using Slack,
via Matrix. And I get to benefit from Matrix and specifically Riot
for the channels of my choosing. It's quite awesome. Happy to
demonstrate at LCA if you hit me up…

--
@martinkrafft | http://madduck.net/ | http://two.sentenc.es/

obviously i was either onto something, or on something.
                               -- larry wall on the creation of perl

spamtraps: madduck.bogus at madduck.net