[Chat] IRC, Slack, Matrix — unified chat at LCA2017

Craige McWhirter craige at mcwhirter.com.au
Wed Jan 11 20:17:27 AEDT 2017

On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 10:21:21 +1300, martin f krafft via Chat wrote:

> tl;dr: use IRC, use Slack, or use Matrix, as per
> https://linux.conf.au/wiki/conference/chat/. LCA2017 is the first
> LCA to bridge between these three platforms in an attempt to make
> sure everyone can chat with everyone.

...to add the ease of integration, for those of us who live and work in IRC,
some IRC clients, WeeChat for example, have excellent Matrix plug ins (some of
them even support Matrix's (optional) end to end encryption) that allow you to
connect natively to IRC and Matrix from the one application.

I quite enjoy the Riot.im Android application for Matrix. Certainly better than
any mobile IRC clients I've experienced.

As a chromic self-hoster, I'm also in the process of switching out my venerable
ZNC IRC bouncer for a Matrix instance instead.

--
Craige McWhirter
M: +61 4685 91819