[Chat] Key signing BOF

Andrew Donnellan andrew at donnellan.id.au
Tue Jan 10 14:52:57 AEDT 2017

On 10 January 2017 at 13:35, Daniel Sobey via Chat
<chat at lists.lca2017.linux.org.au> wrote:
> I am also a CACert assurer and can help fill out the documents if needed.
> For those that don't know cacert is a centralized trust system where
> people validate proof of identity to each other. see
> http://www.cacert.org/ for more details.
>
> I would suggest there is not enough time to do this during the key
> signing BOF as we typically use the whole hour. It might make sense to
> run this in the next slot after that if the room is free.
> Michael, would you like to add a CA Cert BOF session to the wiki and
> suggest a time that suites you.

I'm also a CAcert assurer and can provide some extra points.

That said, I would caution anyone who's new to CAcert - CAcert as an
organisation is fundamentally broken, its internal politics are quite
toxic, and I am >95% confident that unless the whole organisation is
essentially rebuilt from scratch, it will never get its root
certificate into a major browser. The utility of its certificates in
practice is limited to those who want to use it to replace using
self-signed certificates especially on internal networks, or those who
want to use it for X509 email among other CAcert users.

I will happily dispense 20 assurance points if desired though :)

--
Andrew Donnellan
http://andrew.donnellan.id.au         andrew at donnellan.id.au