[Chat] Lyell Highway (was Re: What to see in Tasmania ?)

Peter Lawler relwalretep at gmail.com
Sun Jan 8 12:57:27 AEDT 2017

One thing I didn't mention, but probably should add, is another word of
caution about the road. It's the only way in, or out, that the major
aquaculture company over there uses and thus it's not entirely unheard
of for cars to get stuck behind very large trucks at slow speed on the
mountain passes. It's also not entirely unheard of for trucks to break
down and - due to the location of the breakdown - become impassable for
the rest of the day.

Not saying it's a common thing at all, just that ever year or so one
hears a tale about some person who had their 3 hour trip converted into
9 or 10 (by eventually giving up and going 'the other way', around the
north west).

Basically, there's only one road from the north west of Tasmania, down
the west coast and into Hobart. It wasn't built until after WW1, before
then it was just a bunch of tracks and much remained unsurfaced until
the 1950's, mostly just a bunch of tubes [a little hydro-electric power
joke there folks...]. It's a nasty piece of work and even professional
drivers are advised to not be nonchalant about the difficulties. Even
though it's called the Lyell Highway, I don't think anyone who's
travelled on it would agree with the designation.

The other thing is, yes although it's a ~4 hour drive, there are quite a
few nice spots to stop off and really enjoy the scenery and I'd strongly
encourage anyone doing the drive to do so.

Regards,

Pete.