[Chat] What to see in Tasmania ?

Marc MERLIN marc at merlins.org
Sun Jan 8 05:07:09 AEDT 2017

On Sun, Jan 01, 2017 at 05:10:42AM +1100, Paris wrote:
> I'm a local to Hobart who literally just got back from Strahan after doing everything Peter suggests. It was fabulous. Best mini-holiday in years.

So first, I wanted to thank you both for that recommendation.
3 questions for you:
a) which of the 2 boat cruises you recommend
b) should I do the full 1 day queenstown train ride, or a half day (rack
and gorge) is likely enough to get most of it, and frees up an afternoon
for other activities (scenic flight, ATV tour, or something else)
c) I really would like to skip the long drive back from Strahan to Hobart
Is the 16:30 bus my best way back?

My plan is now:

Day 1: wineglass bay, go to Launceston

Day 2: Tasmania Zoo, launceston, Mole Creek Caves, King Solomons Cave,
       Maybe Trowunna Wildlife Park

Day 3: Cradle Mountain, hike to the top. Drive to Strahan end of day (2h)
       Hike to Hogarth Falls, see platypus at Dusk in Peoples Park?

Day 4: Queenstown explorer 09:00 to 17:30. It's a long rail trip, I'm
not sure if I need an entire day and Queenstown is worth that long trip,
or if doing the shorter River & Rainforest or Rack & Gorge half day
trips will work better.
Recommendations?
       Maybe a guided ATV tour if time, or scenic flight
       Bonnet Island experience at dusk to see mutton birds and penguins

Day 5: Strahan World Heritage Cruise or Gordon River (need to pick one of the 2)
       drive/bus/plane back to Hobart

Then, my problem is getting back to Hobart. Is 5H by road, or likely to
be even longer? Honestly I don't enjoy these very long drives at the end
of a day, but I have a 06:30 flight out of hobart the next morning.
Another option is to pay (way too much) for a private flight back to
Hobart.
Now, I see that there is an optoin to take a bus:
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=bus%20from%20strahan%20to%20hobart
4:30 PM - 10:07 PM (5h37, one connection)
http://www.tassielink.com.au/timetables/strahan-lake-st-clair-hobart
Is it basically my best bet to skip the long drive?

Thanks,
Marc
--
Microsoft is to operating systems ....