[Childcare] Important details regarding childcare for linux.conf.au

Joshua Hesketh josh at nitrotech.org
Thu Jan 12 15:41:22 AEDT 2017

Hi there!

== The important stuff (tl;dr) ==
When:              8:30am -> 5:30pm, Monday -> Friday
Where:            Riviera room, Wrest Point
What to bring: Food, clothes, bathers, towels, snacks, nappies, toys
etc. (if necessary, see below).

== Full details ==

You’ve been subscribed to this list[0] (childcare at hobart.lca2017.org)
because have registered for childcare during linux.conf.au.

This list will be used to send announcements and information that you
may need. It is also a place that parents are welcome to use for
coordinating activities or discussions.

We will have 3 carers for a total of 9 registered children. They will be
at the conference from 8:30am -> 5:30pm each day from Monday -> Friday
(inclusive). The carers may differ from day to day depending on
availability. You are encouraged to check their working with children
cards and status using this form here:
https://wwcforms.justice.tas.gov.au/RegistrationSearch.aspx.

The daycare will be in the Riviera room at Wrest Point which is on the
mezzanine level. Hotel staff will be able to point you in the right
direction if you are having trouble finding it.

You are welcome to drop off or pick up your children at any time.
However, to guarantee the group aren’t out at an activity it is best to
have your children there before 9am and to discuss with the carers when
you may like to pick them back up. There will be a sign in/out sheet
that you must complete when dropping off or picking up your children.

The children will be provided with lunch each day at Wrest Point. This
will be served ~12pm meaning if you’d like them to join you during the
conference main break they will have already had an opportunity to eat.

We will also provide some snacks for throughout the day. These will be
things like muesli bars, nuts, sultanas, crackers etc. Please let the
carers know if you don’t want your children to be eating certain things.

We have allowed catering for children 1.5years and up. If your child is
younger than this please provide the carers with what they will need and
instructions.

With younger children, if you are able to help provide any portacots or
strollers you may have then that will assist the carers. Parents of
children that require it should also supply suitable supply of nappies
themselves. If the children would like to go swimming, appropriate
bathers and towels are also needed. A change of clothes is often also
helpful.

As there are 3 carers there will be the opportunity for children to do
some activities outside of Wrest Point. Please discuss ideas with the
carers for what you are happy for your children to do. It may not be
possible to please everybody and the group may at times split -
especially for some of the older children.

Some activities that have been suggested:
 - Swimming at Wrest Point’s indoor pool
 - Putt-Putt golf in Wrest Point’s garden
 - Excursion to a nearby (fenced) park
 - Excursion to a kids movie
 - There are activities for children at the museum from 11am to 2pm
every day.

Some of these activities may have a cost associated. Transport we can
offer as the bus drivers taking delegates between the university
apartments and Wrest Point will be able to take detours to drop the
children off and pick them up at the carers requests. If you’d like your
kids to go to the movies, for example, please have cash that you can
give to the carers.

We will also try to provide some toys and activities for the children in
the room. We will have a TV and DVD player along with colouring books,
balls and other toys. Feel free to help provide more activities for your
children (be sure to label them and be prepared for loss/damage). Any
provided toys should be suitable to have around infants (for example,
nothing with small parts).

The carers are arranged through Aladdin Babysitting Service. The
coordinator is Leila Gravell <leilagrav46 at gmail.com> who is also on this
mailing list. She likely isn’t going to be present at the venue but is
happy to help with anything you may need. You can reach her on (03) 6268
0038 or 0418 145 880.

I will also be around during the week and you’re welcome to reach me at
this email address (josh at nitrotech.org) or directly on 0419 123 417.

See you in a few days!

Cheers,
Josh