[Chat] Collecting general feedback about the conference?

Jan Groth jan.groth.de at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 21:24:03 AEDT 2017

First of all: I had a great time in Hobart and would very much like to
thank everyone who participated and contributed to the conference!

After Geelong 2016 this was my second Linuxconf, and it's probably
only natural to compare the two events:

While 2017 certainly was a good conference, I must say that I found
2016 far more relevant for me. That is more talks about topics that I
consider interesting and relevant, and fewer talks about topics that I
didn't manage to connect to.

I'm sure that others have a different perception - which is perfectly
fine - but I was wondering if there are channels to collect this kind
of feedback (ideally in a more systematic and fine-grained way)?

Taking that idea one step further: For future conferences, would it be
worthwhile to collect feedback on a talk / presenter level?

* I've seen a few outstanding presentations and certainly wouldn't
mind letting the speaker know about it.

* I also went to talks where someone presented massive walls of text
and simply read out slide after slide after slide in a very monotonous
voice. The guy next to me even fell asleep, I'm not making this up.

* Sometimes only very small things went wrong, e.g. the presenter
typing into the bottom line of a console - which only the people in
the front row could see, but everyone else being too polite to mention
/ yell out.

If I was a speaker I would be very happy to receive this kind of
feedback and try to improve for the next time.

WDYT?

Jan