[Chat] Come try Matrix at LCA2017

martin f krafft madduck at madduck.net
Wed Jan 18 09:59:24 AEDT 2017

Hello,

You might have heard of Matrix by now. Here's an e-mail with the
background information. Come try it out.

Matrix [0] is a federated protocol for rich, real-time
communications. We're using it at LCA2017 to bridge between Slack
and IRC [1], but Matrix is also a promising alternative to WhatsApp
and Signal, being Free & open, and allowing for end-to-end
encryption with multi-device support.

If you haven't yet, please consider trying it out. LCA2017 is
a great venue for that. Already 97 users at LCA have joined the
#linux.conf.au IRC channel through Matrix (compared to 15 Slack
users, and 163 pure IRC users, with some overlap) [2].

There's an app called "Riot" on F-Droid/Play/AppStore, as well as
a full-featured web client at [3]. Please use either to create
yourself an account and join #linux.conf.au:matrix.org (They ask for
an e-mail address, but I was told that's optional and only for
password retrieval).

If you need help, come talk to us in #lca-matrix on
chat.freenode.net, or #lca-matrix:matrix.org, or feel free to heckle
me directly (@madduck:madduck.net, or madduck[m] on Freenode).

And you're of course cordially invited to the unified communications
BoF on Friday [5].

  0. http://matrix.org
  1. http://lists.lca2017.linux.org.au/pipermail/chat/2017-January/000098.html
  2. Thanks to Jerry for the stats at
     http://www.jerrykan.com/lca2017/.
  3. https://riot.im/app/#/
  4. https://linux.conf.au/wiki/conference/chat/
  5. https://linux.conf.au/wiki/conference/birds_of_a_feather_sessions/libre-unified-communications/

PS: B-Sides Canberra on 17–18 March has a session on Matrix too:
    http://bsidescbr.com.au/speakers.html#cryptoparty

--
@martinkrafft | http://madduck.net/ | http://two.sentenc.es/

"if ever somethin' don't feel right to you, remember what pancho
 said to the cisco kid...  `let's win, before we are dancing at the
 end of a rope, without music.'"
                                                           -- sailor

spamtraps: madduck.bogus at madduck.net