[Chat] Automate your home with MQTT (Workshop)

duncan_roe at optusnet.com.au duncan_roe at optusnet.com.au
Tue Jan 17 18:49:21 AEDT 2017

I fetched node-v4.7.2.tar.xz from the site. npm would not work in the
unpacked directory. There was a Makefile, so I ran it.  It built
_node_, installing to /usr/bin (where Node.js is, also called _node_).
Pre-built node-v4.7.2-linux-x86.tar.xz looks the same.
Now I have tried a git clone and followed the instructions for that.
npm did work, build was only a few minutes (c/w 2 hrs for make).
Now running NODE RED.JS outputs _Welcome to Node-RED, _so I think that
is the way to go.

Cheers ... Duncan.