[Chat] I'm Tomu - A tiny ARM microprocessor which fits *inside* your USB port (for U2F or other tasks)

Tim Ansell mithro at mithis.com
Tue Jan 17 17:28:16 AEDT 2017

Hello everyone!

As mention in Rob's U2F talk and demonstrated at the Open Hardware
Miniconf, I'd like to introduce yet another of the too many projects
<https://j.mp/timtoomany> I'm involved.

Tomu <https://tomu.im/> is a tiny ARM microprocessor which fits **inside**
your USB port. I have ~100 of the devices here and want to give you one!

At the moment, the big missing part of the project is the software. Hence,
I'm very interested in getting the device into people's hands so we can get
some. If you contribute to the project in some way *I will give you one for
free. *Non-coding contributions are also encouraged, I'd love a logo and
fixing my horrible documentation :-P

The Tomu design is fully open source (AU000001
<http://certificate.oshwa.org/certification-directory/>), has a BOM of
~$USD10 (in individual quantities) and is constructible by (semi-skilled)
hobbyists! It was designed to potentially be used for 2-factor
authentication but could be used for anything else you can think of (USB
indicator, USB OTP, other?).

The ARM processor has the following specs;
 * 25MHz ARM Cortex-M0+
 * 8kb RAM / 64kb Flash
 * USB 2.0

(There is also a "plus" version which has 48MHz, 32kb RAM, 256kb flash, but
I haven't made a large amounts yet..)

You can get to the slides of my lightning talk at https://j.mp/tomu-lca2017
and the website for the project is tomu.im, all the code and design is at
https://github.com/im-tomu

There is also one small snag, I need to load a modified bootloader and
example firmware onto the 100 boards via ARM 2-wire and could use some help
with doing that.

Love to hear everyone's thoughts and see what people do with the Tomu board!

Tim 'mithro' Ansell