[Chat] Automate your home with MQTT (Workshop)

Alastair D'Silva alastair at d-silva.org
Sun Jan 15 08:26:54 AEDT 2017

Additional Modules
================

We now have sufficient attendees that I cannot guarantee that you receive even 1 extra module, sorry :(  I'll disperse what I have left at the end of the workshop, with preference given to those who put their name down earlier.

You can buy them from China here (~$4, ~3 week delivery). You will need to flash these modules as described in the 0.Prerequisites.html file, and solder on your choice of headers.
http://bit.ly/2isviNd

Prerequisites
============

As pointed out, I pasted the wrong git repo in the previous instructions, the updated details are below. You can also now use NodeJS 6 (if available).

All
===

- Download or clone a copy of the workshop repository to your home
  directory, from https://github.com/InfernoEmbedded/esp-workshop
	git clone https://github.com/InfernoEmbedded/crosstool-ng.git

- If you have a firewall enabled, allow traffic on port 1883 (MQTT)

- Install NodeJS 4 or 6 (not 3 or 5). A Windows installer is saved in
  esp-workshop/windows_x64
	https://nodejs.org/en/download/package-manager/

- Install NodeRed from
	http://nodered.org/docs/getting-started/installation.html

Windows
=======

- Install CH341 Windows Drivers from esp-workshop/windows_x64/drivers

- Install the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html

Linux
=====
- Install Mosquitto (Fedora: dnf install mosquitto,
Debian/Ubuntu: apt-get install mosquitto)

- Install java (Fedora: dnf install java, Debian/Ubuntu:
			apt-get install default-jre)

- Add your user the the dialout group so you can access the serial port
	(edit /etc/group or
	sudo gpasswd -a ${USER} dialout && newgrp dialout)