[Chat] Automate your home with MQTT (Workshop)

Alastair D'Silva alastair at d-silva.org
Thu Jan 12 17:11:29 AEDT 2017

On Tue, 2017-01-03 at 14:09 +1100, Alastair D'Silva wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> On Wednesday 18/1/2017, I'll be running a workshop on home automation:
> https://linux.conf.au/schedule/presentation/16/
>

> The workshop will walk you through the basics of prototyping
> electronics, scripting with Lua and communicating with MQTT.
>
> You will need to bring a laptop, and you must have all the
> prerequisites installed and ready to go (we have a lot of ground to
> cover, but if you get stuck, you can chase me up on Monday/Tuesday for
> assistance).

Hi folks,

Just a reminder, if you want to do this workshop, you must do the
following:
1. Reserve a hardware kit here ($40): http://bit.ly/2hMggol
2. Install all the prerequisites, if you don't, you won't have enough
time to complete the workshop.

We currently have 33 attendees, and 12 free seats. I've conscripted
some of my colleagues at IBM's Ozlabs to assist with the workshop, so
I'd like to express my gratitude to them:
 - Andrew Donellan
 - Chris Smart
 - Daniel Axtens
 - Oliver Ohalloran
 - Rashmica Gupta
 - Suraj Singh

Between us, I'm sure we can make sure that everyone attending can
receive prompt assistance when they need it.

Prerequisites
=============

You can clone the following git repo, which has the workshop contents,
prerequisites, and instructions (if you are the type who likes to read
ahead). I updated the contents today to make things easier to follow,
so please pull those changes.
https://github.com/InfernoEmbedded/esp-workshop.git

The prerequisites are currently available for Windows x64 & Linux x64.
If you have something else, I'm happy to accept a pull request with the
alternate software & instructions.

I have added an "Installed Prerequisites" column to the reservation
spreadsheet - please update that against your name once you installed
the necessary software.

Extra Modules

At this point, I only have enough extra modules for 1 per person (even
if you requested 2), as I have to give priority to kits for workshop
attendees.

Cheers,

--
Alastair D'Silva           mob: 0423 762 819
skype: alastair_dsilva