[Chat] LCA first timers guide

Simon Lyall simon at darkmere.gen.nz
Sat Jan 7 17:00:02 AEDT 2017

On Sat, 7 Jan 2017, Hannah Thompson wrote:
> Handy to have a newbie guide, thanks for sharing :) although one comment I'd
> make would be to edit this sentence, from the Conference Wrap-Up section,
> because it's a bit off-putting, at least for me. (Even if the thankyou gifts
> are gendered it probably doesn't need to be spelt out?)
>
> "The organisers will be thanked, a bunch of flowers will be given to the
> females and alcohol to the males. The head organiser usually gets a gift
> from the speakers."

I'll update this in a few minutes. I think the reason for the wording was
because it seemed a little cliched and old fashioned to be splitting out
gifts by gender like that.

I'm pretty sure this hasn't happened for a few years and in fact I seem to
recall that the presentation of gifts to the team during the conference
close is discouraged these days.

--
Simon Lyall  |  Very Busy  |  Web: http://www.simonlyall.com/
"To stay awake all night adds a day to your life" - Stilgar