[Chat] DKIM signatures

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Tue Jan 3 16:37:20 AEDT 2017

On Tuesday, 3 January 2017 3:19:49 PM AEDT Simon Lyall wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Jan 2017, Russell Coker wrote:
> > On Tuesday, 3 January 2017 7:17:07 AM AEDT Scott Bragg wrote:
> >> The Admin team just restarted mailman and added the REMOVE_DKIM_HEADERS
> >> = Yes line to the config.
> >>
> >> As such I've turned off the "Munge From" and "from_as_list" options that
> >> someone was complaining about. So keep an eye on your list traffic and
> >> I'll keep an eye on the bounces.
> >
> > Removing DKIM headers on it's own does nothing for systems that use DMARC
> > etc. All it does is permit the previous change (that you have now
> > reverted) to work correctly.
>
> On another list (full of email admins) I followed advice on the following
> page:
>
> https://wiki.list.org/DEV/DMARC
>
> Which was to only turn on "Munge From" for "dmarc_moderation_action"
> rather than everybody.

Which means we have different types of messages going through the list.  The
only complaints about from_as_list were regarding the Reply-To header and I
don't think that having such changes on half the messages is an improvement.
It's Solomon's option of cutting the baby in half.

> This seems to work okay and means (a) everybody gets email and (b) only
> people with DMARC get their from address changed.

If that does exactly what it's advertised as doing then it breaks mail for
senders using ADSP and SPF but without DMARC.