[Chat] Automate your home with MQTT (Workshop)

Alastair D'Silva alastair at d-silva.org
Tue Jan 3 14:09:28 AEDT 2017

Hi folks,

On Wednesday 18/1/2017, I'll be running a workshop on home automation:
https://linux.conf.au/schedule/presentation/16/

The workshop will walk you through the basics of prototyping
electronics, scripting with Lua and communicating with MQTT.

You will need to bring a laptop, and you must have all the
prerequisites installed and ready to go (we have a lot of ground to
cover, but if you get stuck, you can chase me up on Monday/Tuesday for
assistance).

The prerequisites and workshop materials are available here:
https://infernoembedded.com/intro-iot-using-esp8266-mqtt-nodered

If you would like to participate, please let me know so that I have an
idea of how much hardware I need to bring.

The workshop kits costs $40 each, and additional ESP8266 modules are $5
each.

The kits include a breadboard, ESP8266 module, cables, and a whole pile
of sensors. Additional ESP8266 modules are available for $5 each.

Payment should be made on the day, please bring exact change :)

Background:
This workshop was originally developed for IBM's EXITE Camp, a program
aimed at high school girls to encourage career paths in STEM. The
workshop itself is open source, and I would love it if teachers were
able to make use of in class. If you would like to contribute, the most
pressing issues are: neat wiring diagrams, OSX prerequisites and
additional exercises to introduce other sensors.

--
Alastair D'Silva           mob: 0423 762 819
skype: alastair_dsilva